General information on aluminium tubes
Aluminum tubing can be found in a variety of shapes, sizes, and thicknesses, and can be customized to meet the specific needs of different applications. It can be used for structural support, as a conduit for fluids or gases, or for decorative purposes. Aluminum tubing is often used in the manufacturing of products such as boats, airplanes, and vehicles, as well as in the construction of buildings and other structures.
Manufacture of aluminium tubes
Aluminium tubes are mostly produced by the extrusion process. When aluminium tubes are extruded, an aluminium billet heated to forming temperature is pushed into the extrusion chamber. Then a mandrel is pushed through the billet. At the other end of the pressing chamber is the die, which determines the outer shape. The bolt is now pressed through the die. In the process, the material flows between the mandrel and the die, creating a seamless aluminium tube.
After extrusion, the aluminium tube can be further processed by drawing to obtain the desired dimensions. By drawing, aluminium tubes with very thin walls can be produced. During drawing, the aluminium tube to be processed is gripped by a gripping device and drawn through a shaping die. A mandrel bar is inserted inside the tube. The tube passes between the mandrel bar and the die, thereby reducing the wall thickness. Depending on the desired dimension, several drawing processes are required.
Applications of aluminium tubing
Aluminium tubes are used in the following areas, for example:
- Automotive industry: Light and strong aluminium tubes are suitable for many purposes in vehicle construction. Aluminium tubes are also used in many accessories, such as shock absorbers.
- Furniture industry: Furniture manufacturers value aluminium tubing as a versatile construction element. It is used, for example, for chair and table legs as well as for shelves.
- Railing construction: Aluminium tubes are well suited for handrails and railing frames.
- Bicycle construction: Due to the lightness and strength of the material, aluminium tubes can be processed into high-quality bicycle frames.
- Metal & facade construction: As functionally versatile components that are also easy to process, aluminium tubes have long proven their worth in the building industry.
Advantages of aluminium tubing
There are several advantages to using aluminum tubing in various applications:
- Corrosion resistant
- Good conductivity
- High strength
- Easy to work with